History of Chiropractic
Modern chiropractic began in 1895 in Davenport, Iowa. In just over 100 years we have over 50,000 licensed doctors of Chiropractic in the U.S. and thousands more around the world. The practice of Chiropractic is defined and regulated by statutes in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and many countries around the world.
Chiropractic may be defined in general terms as the diagnosis and treatment of human ailments without the use of drugs, medicine or surgery.
Chiropractic is a natural system of health care that looks first to the spine for information when a warning sign appears. Very often, the warning sign is pain. Sometimes the warning sign is some other symptom that the body is not functioning properly.
The Body Heals Itself
We all know the body was designed to heal itself. Or, said another way: the power that made the body heals the body. Look what happens when you cut your skin or sprain your ankle. The innate intelligence of the body gets to work without your even knowing it or feeling it. In a few short weeks your skin or ankle is completely healed.
If your body doesn’t heal from something, what does that mean? It could mean that there is some interference to its natural innate ability to heal.
Improper motion or position of the vertebrae can irritate the delicate spinal nerves that branch out from the spinal cord and interfere with the function of the tissues they control. This happens because of interference of the communication between the brain and the tissues. This is called a vertebral subluxation, and the result is usually pain and/or abnormal function.
Vertebral subluxations can be caused by many everyday activities:
• Car accidents (and other injuries)
• Stress (causes poor digestion, allergies, tight muscles)
• Poor diet (lack of sufficient & correct nutrients, excess of sugar & fat)
• Long periods of postural strain (working on a computer, talking on the phone–most jobs require habitual postures that can cause subluxations)
• Weekend Warrior behavior (getting no regular exercise but deciding to play hard that weeked or dig up that entire sidewalk on Saturday because the weather is good)
• A wrong move while working out or doing yoga or jogging, or riding long distances on a bike in a racing position with your neck scrunched
Chiropractors Improve Health By Correcting Vertebral Subluxations
All Doctors of Chiropractic are concerned with correcting these vertebral subluxations and removing interference to your body’s innate ability to heal itself. We all “adjust” the spine to accomplish this.
There are many methods or techniques to adjust the spine to correct vertebral subluxations. Dr. Werner has been extensively trained to correct vertebral subluxations. He has an approach to treat every person to the best of his ability, and never to stop looking for answers.